Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener Install Question

Posted by swingking03 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 10:34

I am looking to install a Fleck5600SXT to a home with no current water softener. I have moderate plumbing knowledge, however I have never worked with what appears to be iron or steel (see photo of main water). I would like to install the softener to the right of the main water inlet along with a bypass. I am looking for some guidence as to how this should be setup. What tools are needed to cut iron? What connections would I need (one retailer suggested the stainless steel bypass)? Can I go from iron to PVC?

This post was edited by swingking03 on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener Install Question

"I have moderate plumbing knowledge, however I have never worked with what appears to be iron or steel"

Looks like copper. Try a magnet to find out. Then, is it 3/4" or 1" cause the 5600 is only a 3/4" valve?

When you sort out this mystery assemble a three ball valve bypass. You should also get the Noryl bypass and the environmental cover (for outdoor installations) Fleck offers for the 5600 control valve. The Fleck SS bypass is not as desirable.

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here