Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swingking03

Water softener sizing help

swingking03
10 years ago

I am looking into getting a Fleck 5600SXT but am unsure whether I need the 24,000 or 32,0000 size. I have gone through multiple formulas and charts and have received mixed results.

2,000 sq ft home
2 adults, one 6 month old
using city water
Avg water usage over last 5 months: 5,900gal/month
City water quality report indicates 7.4-11.7GPG
flow at spicket attached to main water = 3gal/21sec

Also, are the slightly smaller tanks with turbulators worth it?

Lastly, not sure if it is allowed, but what sites are recommended for purchasing?

Thanks so much for your help

This post was edited by swingking03 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 9:54

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

As you noted... sizing a softener is based on mathematics.

Arriving at the correct answer (correct softener size) is based on the data inputted into a mathematical formula.

Using average numbers or numbers from a water quality report taken at the treatment plant before the water travels through the system and finally arrives at your water meter usually results in an incorrectly sized softener and/or not treating other water conditions that you have not noted since you only mentioned hardness. There's more to treating water than just the hardness.

We need to know hardness, pH, iron, manganese, TDS, chlorine, sodium, arsenic. for starters and we need to know exact numbers. The way to get that data is from a test done (preferably) by a certified lab of the water in your home.

How many bathrooms and do you have any high water use appliances like a Jacuzzi or super shower?

You don't want a turbulator or Vortech tank.

If you want to calculate the softener size based on what you posted then just average out the results you've already gotten and just pick one.

I won't help you size a softener incorrectly or validate your choice in doing it wrong.

This post was edited by justalurker on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 15:25

• swingking03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know it may not be the ideal method, but I was just trying to do the best I can without spending $100+ for the test. Is the city quality report not even in the same ballpark as a certified test?

I have 2.5 bathrooms and no high water use appliances.

• User
    10 years ago

Not the ideal method... in the ballpark... assume... guess... none of those ring with accuracy to any degree.

The only info you've posted is hardness and that was a range with a pretty large swing.

The question is... do you want to correctly size your softener and treat all the water conditions that (may) concern you or not?

• swingking03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know my water is hard so getting a softener will make a difference alone. I am clearly not trying to be as precise as possible (just like when I buy a TV I don't spend hundreds of dollars on a calibration to optimize it). My thought was if I use the top end of the water quality report's testing, then it would be relatively close. Yes it may not be optimal. I was simply just looking for some advice on which size I would need if those are the numbers I have chose to use.
    pH = 8.34
    sodium = 15.8
    chloramines = 3.76

If you choose to help with the calculation based on the numbers I have decided to use, then that would be greatly appreciated.

• User
    10 years ago

You don't drink your TV. You don't eat your TV. Your TV can't have detrimental effects on your family's heath, your plumbing, and appliances and for all I know you may be colorblind.

So, no water test. If we would use the water report then you're deciding what data in the water department's report is relevant for softener sizing and what isn't and don't post the entire report.

Good luck.

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 10:46

• swingking03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Report attached

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Quality Report

• User
    10 years ago

Not at all useful and grossly lacking. That report is an average over a year old and only concerns itself with gov't mandated health related contaminants.

No tests or results for quality related concerns... iron, manganese, hardness, pH, TDS. Yea, the stuff we need to know to correctly size a softener.

Water treatment is a SCIENCE not a spin-the-bottle game. With you "...not trying to be as precise as possible..." there is no way a softener can be correctly sized by ANYONE.

Ignorance is not bliss when dealing with water treatment and I'm now sure that I'm wasting my time trying to get you to understand so I'm done and wish you good luck.

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 18:18

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH