Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more rigidity to stainless sink after new faucet

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 9:45

I'm installing a Grohe kitchen faucet with pull-out spray, and there's a bit too much play in the sink when operating the faucet. Any suggestions for making the rim area stiffer? I'm considering sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood (sealed) between the underside and the retaining nut mechanism. Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more rigidity to stainless sink after new faucet

If the faucet is properly attached with clips to the counter (check underneath to see if a clip is missing), then the culprit is the gauge of the sink. Adding wood is a bad idea and won't help with the issue. Replace the thin 24 gauge builder's grade sink with something more substantial like an 18 gauge, or even a 16 gauge if you can find it.

o

"I'm considering sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood (sealed) between the underside and the retaining nut mechanism. "

Get a piece of angle iron wide enough to have a hole for the faucet mount cut.

o

I know exactly what you're describing.....and agree with both hollysprings and brickeyee. Inasmuch as the sink's already in, would probably go with brickeyee.

However, if you have a disposal also -- which may give you the same grief in a different way -- might consider re-doing with heavier guage a-la- hollysprings.

o

Go with a heavier guage sink. It will cost more in the beginning but you'll be happier with the final product. I have found with my own experiences that when I try to modify something like that, it's easier and better to just go with a better product unless you can't get your sink out without a total counter top remodel.

o

Thanks all. For this job, angle iron it is.

This would be a tough sink replacement anyway since it was installed prior to setting the counter and is really shoe-horned in the cabinet with no clear shot to some of the clips. (And I'm not in the mood to empty cabinets, remove island counter with 45 degree entension, recaulk, etc. for a family freebie.)

o

I would use iron too. i would paint the iron with antirust paint.

You might find angle aluminum in your hardware store. Good enough.

o

I have nothing but respect for davidro1, but....do NOT use aluminum from your hardware store. It does NOT have the lasting strength/rigidity you will need.

o

If it's 1/8th inch thick, it's good enough. Hope this helps.

o

Rereading the OP, about sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood to give some rigidity, I think it might be adequate to use a few paint stirrer sticks as a trial and see if that suffices. They are about 1/8th inch thickness also. The wide nut under the faucet will spread the forces over a wider area. It seems the OP has a stainless sink with a wide flat top where the faucet hole is. The sink metal needs a little bit of extra support between the faucet's nut and the edges of the too-wide sink rim.

o

A flat piece f thin wood will add a minimal amount of stiffness.

You need material that is above the surface you are trying to stiffen to do much good (thus angle metal).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here