Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas water heater in attic?

Posted by jeanie_beth (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 9:31

My sister had a house built 5 years ago. She constantly has to relight the gas hot water heater as the pilot light keeps going out. The contractor installed a 50 gallon gas water heater in the attic of the house when it was built.

It just sits on the floor of the attic--it is NOT raised up so many inches off floor like most code requirements like mine...it just sits in a shallow pan on the attic floor.

I assume the pilot light keeps going out due to drafts in the attic from attic vents, HVAC unit, etc.

My question is is really safe to have a gas water heater installed in an attic like this? Is this up to code being in the attic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas water heater in attic?

Many jurisdictions approved gas heaters in the attic but the only way of knowing if your sister's did is to call them and ask. Drafts in the attic shouldn't be strong enough to blow the pilot out. It is possible but uncommon for the flue to create stornge draft. The two most common culprits is thermocouple ( inexpensive and easy to replace) and pilot adjustment and/or cleaning ( not reccomended for any besides a professional or above average diyer) .

o

It'll suck if the plumbing ever leaks.

o

Water heaters in the attic were fairly common when I lived in Texas, but there were also quite a few horror stories. Leaks are the obvious hazard, but just wait until you have to do a standard replacement. Old water heaters are heavy, rusty and water-logged and you have to somehow get them out of the attic during a replacement. Not a fun job.

The pilot light blowing out sounds like a defect. There should not be enough draft in the attic to affect the pilot light.

Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here