Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

Garbage disposal and dishwasher

scryn
16 years ago

Do I have to have a garbage disposal if I have a dishwasher?

We have a garbage disposal now and we think it has died finally. I really hate having one and it backs up all the time. I am not sure how old it is, it came with the house.

Anyways, I would prefer not to have one. Can we just have the dishwasher drain into the kitchen pipes without having a garbage disposal?

We are on the city sewer system so we do not have a septic tank to worry about.

Does not having a garbage disposal increase potential pipe problems (build-up in sewer pipe?). I would not put food down the sink, however sometimes this just happens. I assume these bits would eventually just be washed away into the sewer system.

thanks,

renee

Comments (7)

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

many houses here don't have a GD and have a dishwasher. if you have both, the diswasher MUST drain thru the GD, but AFAIK there is not a requirement to have a GD if you have a dishwasher.

• asolo
    16 years ago

Deep-six the GD if you want. Not an issue.

• jake2007
    16 years ago

You don't have to have one.

However, from what you have said, I would replace it with another one. Here's why:

Old disposers get dull and they tend to clog up the drain because they aren't effective at cutting any more. If you were having trouble, replacing the disposer may change your feelings about it. The new one will be quieter, will be more effective and won't clog as easily.

Also, if it was getting clogged up, I suspect that you are sending an amount of food down the drain.

Finally, they are cheap -- $69 for a 1/3 horse Badger 1, $79 for a half horse Badger 5. Installing a new disposer in the existing space may be cheaper than redoing the plumbing under the sink -- especially if you do it yourself. I could replace a Badger in about 20 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Badger 5

• lazypup
    16 years ago

All Dishwashers are required to drain by means of an indirect waste receptor. The easiest method of creating an indirect waste receptor is to discharge into the dishwasher port of a disposal, but that is not the only option.

If you do not have a disposal you must have an Air Gap (Some local codes require an air gap on all dishwasher connections.)

Some local codes such as the Illinois Pluming Code actually prohibit discharging a dishwasher into a garbage disposal.

• heimert
    16 years ago

Are you sure about that lazy pup? I don't think the GD dishwasher port is an "indirect waste receptor" -- one could get backflow, which is why you need an air gap (which is an indirect waste receptor).

I personally agree with other posters that it may be easier simply to put in a new GD--the sizes are reasonably standard, and if you already have one in place, all the pieces are likely there.

• lazypup
    16 years ago

"Are you sure about that lazy pup? I don't think the GD dishwasher port is an "indirect waste receptor" -- one could get backflow, which is why you need an air gap (which is an indirect waste receptor)."

Yes I am absolutely sure about the disposal being an indirect waste receptor. Taking this discussion to the next level, technically the air gap is not an indirect waste receptor. The discharge line from the air gap to the drain line is the indirect waste receptor.

To prevent backflow the discharge line from the dishwasher is required to be run up under the cabinet as high as possible, then loop down and back up to the airgap or point of connection on the drain to form a natural trap.

Also, when a disposal is present you may not connect the dishwasher drain line to the drain line on the discharge side of the disposal.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

Also, when a disposal is present you may not connect the dishwasher drain line to the drain line on the discharge side of the disposal.

lazypup, i think i have asked before, but why is that? i know the code says not to, but what happens if you do? the reason i ask is that my kitchen plumbing was hacked together by the previous owner and the DW is attached to the drain line AFTER the trap via a stub up from teh main line. the GD is attached normally, and the DW knockout on the GD is still in place. the DW has a checkvalve mounted at the point it attaches to the drain line. i put that on, since we were having issues with the drain clogging and it would back up into the DW. this part was done under advice from a local "plumber", who i thought at the time knew what he was doing but have since learned he causes more issues than he fixes. he said nothing about the DW drain being hook up where it is.

with the check valve in place, we have not had any issues with the DW in 3 years now. even when the septic tank backed up and caused the sink to clog.

BTW, the previous owner used 5/8" flexible copper gas liine as the water supply lines to the faucet, with NO cut offs for the supply other than killing water to the whole house. at least i have managed to fix that part properly!