Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

Repair of FIG 5044F ball valve-

marknmt
12 years ago

Any reason I can't disassemble and repair this valve in-line? I've emailed the company about replacement parts but haven't heard. I should be able to find them locally, I imagine.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: pdf for valve

Comments (8)

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

"I appreciate any advice"...

My advice would be that your time is worth something.
    Replace the valve and call it good - particularly if this is a standard 1/2" - 1" valve.

I haven't seen rebuild kits - usually ball valves are pretty reliable - not much demand for rebuild kits.

If you are concerned about waste - recycle it.

• randy427
    12 years ago

If you can find the same model valve for sale, and you can disassemble the old valve without removal, it's probably easier and cheaper to buy the new valve and cannibalize the needed replacement parts from it.

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

You can't disassemble the old valve without removal - that's what makes this unreasonable.

A new valve is ~$13 for 3/4" online.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Those valves are assembled at the factory and don't seem to be intended to be repaired. The ones I've seen leak were soldered in and damaged during the soldering process.

The valves I've tried to take apart were very difficult to disassemble and were nargied up in the process

I've never seen a rebuild kit.

I've always chosen ball valves made in the US but they are very hard to find today. The last Watts valves I saw were made in Italy.

Replace the valve.

• marknmt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got it. Thanks.

I had envisioned a little thing like re-doing a single-lever faucet- not much to it, and not hard to get into.But I've encountered enough surprises that I ask now!

I'll replace the valve.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The ones I've seen leak were soldered in and damaged during the soldering process."

These are the cheap ones that use low temperature plastics for the ball potting.

Look for one that uses Teflon.

Depending on exactly what is leaking, ball valves are sometimes not repairable.

The potting compound around the ball is injected in a one shot process at many factories and you cannot remove, replace, or repair it.

• marknmt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate all the information.

By way of conclusion, we've hired a plumber with whom we've worked before who will replace the valve (I am afraid of copper!) and is also giving us a bid on rebuilding our very badly cobbled together drains. I like working with this guy because he's very experienced, very straightforward, and he will let me help him with some of the grunt work. I write the checks but he's the boss, and if he says something should be thus and so I say "yessir". Works real well!

Thanks again.

ps- we're putting in a much better valve than the one we're removing.

• marknmt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A follow-up on this little valve job-

Our plumber came in and removed the old valve and installed a union and the new valve. Parts and labor $73.00.

A very good value, I would say. He guesses the bid on the drain removal and replacement will run under $2500.

Thanks again for your advice.

M