Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
law2lake

water hammer on supply side of pressure tank

law2lake
9 years ago

The well is drilled, approximately 120 feet deep. It was drilled in 2006 when I constructed my home. In the basement of the house, the main water line comes in and connects to Gould V60 pressure tank. The pressure switch is 30/50 and the bladder is pressurized at about 27. There appears to be a check valve in the T package on the supply side of the T. I have not noticed any loss of pressure in the tank.

My well water system works perfectly, EXCEPT when it has been sitting for a period of time (hour or more). On the supply side of the pressure tank, when the well first turns on in the morning (after toilet is flushed, water running, etc.), there is a single pound hammer that can be very loud at times. Once this happens, as long as we use water on the regular basis, we will not hear the noise again. However, if it sits for a while (hour or more), the same bang.

My theory is that the foot/check valve located at the top of the submersible pump (or wherever it is located), has gone bad, allowing the water in the line from the pump to the pressure tank to leak out, replacing it with air, and causing a hammer-type bang when the pump turns back on.

Unless we use water in the house, the pump does not cycle on/off. I assume that is because the check valve on the t-package is preventing any water in the pressure tank from leaking out.

Any thoughts on other things I can check before calling my well guy to pull the pump and replace the foot/check valve?

Thanks for any guidance.

Comments (6)