Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjpoolowner

How can I tell if I have damaged a pipe inside wall?

sjpoolowner
9 years ago

Hi,

I replaced my tub spout today and have a question. It is a threaded spout which can be installed by twisting it over the pipe sticking out from the wall. The pipe looks like a copper to me, is about 4", and has threads at the end.

I twisted the spout with my hand until it got somewhat tight. There was still some gap between the ring on the tub and the end of the spout and the new spout is about the same size (slightly shorter) than the old spout, I thought I could twist some more and so I did with my hand. Then I heard some cracking sound somewhere (not quite sure if it was a crack sound, though).

I panicked and detached the spout but couldn't find any crack in either the pipe or the spout. From the look of the teflon tape, I didn't even go all the way to the end of the thread on the pipe.

I reattached the spout without tightening it too much and tested. From what I can tell, everything worked fine. There was no leak from the spout and water pressure was good. After turning the water off, I tried to listen any sound behind the wall for 10 minutes or so, but didn't hear any water dripping. I also checked the water meter and didn't see any change for a while but I guess that doesn't rule out leaks.

Is it possible that I damaged some plumbing inside the wall in this case? If so, my best guess is that it is where the pipe that's sticking out from the wall is connected to another pipe to the faucet? I tried to look behind the tiles but couldn't see much because of the ring.

Should I be worried?

Comments (3)