Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pumphouse problem ?

Posted by wildlifeman (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 4:12

a while ago my water pressure and supply dropped. finally got around to replacing my pressure tank. my water pressure went up but my water supply did not.

i still have the same amount of water no matter how long my water is shut off before it runs out. for this reason i don't believe my well is drying up. could it be the pump or pressure switch that is faulty and needs replacing ?

any help or trouble shooting advice is welcome.

thanks ,
wildlifeman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pumphouse problem ?

Does your pressure tank have the proper air charge?
How much water can you draw before the pressure drops by 50%?
What size is the tank?
Does the pump come on and go off at the set pressures?

o

randy ,

the new pressure tank is precharged at 40 psi. i'm assuming thats the proper charge.

i draw about a mop bucket or a bit more before it drops by about 50%. 2 mop buckets is all the water i can get at once. i have to leave it off for a while to get more.

the tank is 19 gallons.

the pressure gauge for the pump has been broken for about a year. i need to replace it but alas i can't give u the answer to your last question. i hope that in and of itself doesn't affect this problem.

i'm not much of a handyman.

thanks for your help.

wildlifeman

o
pumphouse problem ?

randy,

i should add that replacing the pressure tank was prolly unnecessary as the problem remains the same. of course i'm not gonna put the old one back in. :)

wlidlifeman

o

I am having almost the exact same problem! I had the well people out last month after we turned on the faucet and had no water... but they couldn't find anything wrong with our equipment..they did replace my pressure valve though. All of our well equipment was replaced about 2 years ago, and our tank is 30 gallons. We (and the well company!) are drawing a blank as to why we are having such a problem with our water supply. Our only option when we temporarily go "dry" is to shut the power to the well pump off at the circuit breaker, and let the well recover for a 1/2 day or more. If we do not turn the pump off, it cycles, and every 15 minutes tries to refill the tank. The water is not recovering adequately in those 15 minutes, so the pump then shuts itself off.

I hate to think that our well is actually drying up, so I hope someone has an answer for you, and me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here