Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost to repipe my house?

Posted by hypothetical_tf (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 1:22

Help! I have a home with polybutylene pipes that have just started to crack. I had the pipe repaird, but the plumber told me that once poly starts to crack, it will continue, and possibly within as little as 4 hours. He said that I should repipe the whole house with flexible plastic piping from Europe asap. I have a 1400 square foot ranch home in the Southwest with 2 baths with the pipes in question in the attic. He quoted $9700 -$9800. Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone know how much this should cost?

Oh, and I am aware that there was a recall on poly. Even though I think I am outside the timeframe allotted, I am looking into being reimbursed. Although, I don't think I will be sucessful, so I want to make sure I don't pay too much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost to repipe my house?

The cost depends on a lot of factors, particularly the finish work that will have to be done after the pipes are replaced. You'd be well off to get two more estimates, preferably from contractors recommended by satisfied customers for similar work.

o

Agree with more estimates -- real issue is labor, not materials.

FWIW, the figure you have doesn't seem wildly high. It's not going to cost only $2000.

o

Depends on whether the estimate includes restoring sheetrock, etc. If it does include that, then it doesn't sound bad. If it is just repipe and walk away, then it sounds more like a copper piping price.

I wonder if some of these guys are trying to charge the same for PEX as they get for copper repipes? If so, seems like there's a nice profit margin to be had there...

-Roger

o

QUOTE "I wonder if some of these guys are trying to charge the same for PEX as they get for copper repipes? If so, seems like there's a nice profit margin to be had there..."

If the homeowner opts to convert to a PEX manifold system the cost could be even greater than copper.

Due to the excessive amount of tubing used to make the home runs to the manifolds many plumbers offer a copper main & branch or PEX manifold system for the same price.

On the other hand, PEX also has some rather demanding characteristics that can greatly increase the price. By example, PEX must be protected from ultraviolet light exposure. This can be a prime consideration when running lines in a basement that has windows.

The bottom line here is that it is totally impossible to even venture a guess as to the cost because every job presents unique problems.

o

Thanks for all of replies. I have received 4 other quotes and all are between 5800 - 7000. The lowest at 5800 covers PEX with a lifetime warranty on the labor and the standard Wersbo 25 year lifetime warranty. It also includes all finishing, permits, inspections, and gross receipts tax (which adds up in NM because even labor is taxable here.) My only hestitation is wondering if it is too good to be true, so my next step is to check references. Thanks again!!

o

P.S. rogerv, I think you were right about the first plumber. I believe he quoted me for the price of copper for PEX because when I asked if he was quoting PEX with a manifold system he said no. Now I am just hoping that he was being dishonest about the rest of the PB cracking quickly, as I am trying to take time to make the right decision.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here