Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of tub filler -ouch!

Posted by lynneblack (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 1:08

We are re-doing our bathroom, my husband wants a freestanding soaking tub but we about fell over when we found that the tub filler for a freestanding tub costs over $500! Is there any way around this? I simply can't figure out what justifies $500-$2000 for a stupid piece of plumbing that does nothing but put water in a tub..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of tub filler -ouch!

First, make sure you are really going to want a soaking tub. Our master bath came with a large, deep, jetted tub...which I think we have used twice in 6 years. The problem with remodels -- and I am speaking from my own experience -- is that there are lots of really cool things that one is tempted to install that in retrospect look like a less-than-wise use of one's money. On the other hand, if this is an absolute necessity in your husband's view, then don't let the cost of a fancy faucet get in the way. And you can find a decent one for less than $500. This is one of those areas where you can pay a lot for a little style. Believe me: a $2000 tub filler will not perform 10 times better than a $200 one.

o

we have a big ugly circa 1985 drop in tub now, sitting right in our bedroom surrounded by the ugliest pink 4" tile you have ever seen. My husband uses it every day..the soaking tub is a 'must have' in his opinion, the good news is, the new tub will be in the bathroom not in the bedroom. If you know of any source for < $500 tub fillers please let me know, I haven't found one so far.

o

Do you want a particular style? I saw a wide variety under $500 by just doing a Google search. For example, here is a link to what is offered on eBay:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tub fillers

o

We bought a decent looking tub filler from Signature Hardware for under $150, IRRC. I do not want to promote their business but I felt well treated by them. You could find them, or competitors, I'm sure, with an internet search, as I did.

o

The American Standard Cadet line is the only budget tub filler that I could in good conscience recommend. I beleive you might even be able to find it at a box store sub $200 if you're OK without a hand shower. (I'd recommend the hand shower.) Chrome finishes are the least expensive and they are classic. If you want something like ORB, you're gonna be talking at least $500 for something decent.

This is for s standard soaking tub, not a clawfoot tub. If you want a clawfoot, the game changes. Significantly.

The poorly crafted imported stuff with fancy names just isn't built like something American is. Tub fillers are pretty hard to change out compared to a simple sink faucet. That's just one of the reasons you don't want to go cheap on plumbing fixtures.

o

I probably didn't make myself clear. He is getting a contemporary style free standing soaking tub..and the stupid tub fillers for those things start at around $500 there are some made in china ones on ebay for around $360-$380 but they are some off brand and I think that might be a stupid move, since he probably couldn't even get it fixed under warranty if it didn't work.

o

Just don't think that paying a lot of money will necessarily get you something that is not made in China!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here