Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynne_reno

Cost of tub filler -ouch!

Lynne Reno
12 years ago

We are re-doing our bathroom, my husband wants a freestanding soaking tub but we about fell over when we found that the tub filler for a freestanding tub costs over $500! Is there any way around this? I simply can't figure out what justifies $500-$2000 for a stupid piece of plumbing that does nothing but put water in a tub..

Comments (7)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

First, make sure you are really going to want a soaking tub. Our master bath came with a large, deep, jetted tub...which I think we have used twice in 6 years. The problem with remodels -- and I am speaking from my own experience -- is that there are lots of really cool things that one is tempted to install that in retrospect look like a less-than-wise use of one's money. On the other hand, if this is an absolute necessity in your husband's view, then don't let the cost of a fancy faucet get in the way. And you can find a decent one for less than $500. This is one of those areas where you can pay a lot for a little style. Believe me: a $2000 tub filler will not perform 10 times better than a $200 one.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Do you want a particular style? I saw a wide variety under $500 by just doing a Google search. For example, here is a link to what is offered on eBay:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tub fillers

• marknmt
    12 years ago

We bought a decent looking tub filler from Signature Hardware for under $150, IRRC. I do not want to promote their business but I felt well treated by them. You could find them, or competitors, I'm sure, with an internet search, as I did.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

The American Standard Cadet line is the only budget tub filler that I could in good conscience recommend. I beleive you might even be able to find it at a box store sub $200 if you're OK without a hand shower. (I'd recommend the hand shower.) Chrome finishes are the least expensive and they are classic. If you want something like ORB, you're gonna be talking at least $500 for something decent.

This is for s standard soaking tub, not a clawfoot tub. If you want a clawfoot, the game changes. Significantly.

The poorly crafted imported stuff with fancy names just isn't built like something American is. Tub fillers are pretty hard to change out compared to a simple sink faucet. That's just one of the reasons you don't want to go cheap on plumbing fixtures.

• Lynne Reno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I probably didn't make myself clear. He is getting a contemporary style free standing soaking tub..and the stupid tub fillers for those things start at around $500 there are some made in china ones on ebay for around $360-$380 but they are some off brand and I think that might be a stupid move, since he probably couldn't even get it fixed under warranty if it didn't work.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Just don't think that paying a lot of money will necessarily get you something that is not made in China!