Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powerful Shower Head!

Posted by MercerM (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 0:36

Hi, I'm looking for a main shower head with a forceful spray. I don't care what kind it is as long as it is powerful. I can't spend more than around $125, and the lower the cost the better.

I've heard that the flow restrictors can be removed from Grohe shower heads. Does anyone know if this is true in 2013 in the US? Some members of my family have long thick hair and it takes a long time to wash out the shampoo unless there's a forceful spray. I'm all for conserving water but when it takes twice as long to shower...

I'm also looking for a hand-held and am wondering what type is best, i.e. on a slider or wall-mounted.

I'm also going to post in the bathrooms forum.

Thanks a bunch!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powerful Shower Head!

A plain chap Speakman is all you need.

o

Speakman are great so is Grohe. Flow restricters removed with ease in 2006. Both give a great shower. Grohe is better styled.

o

I prefer to drill a small hole through the flow restrictor. Removing it completely can cause too much water flow, to the point that the shower floods out the bathroom. Sometimes the drain can't keep up, and you're standing in filthy water up to your shins. The water conservation regulations of 2.5 gallons per minute is plenty. I consider that an ideal shower, even 2 GPM is adequate.

A 1/8" to 3/16" hole drilled through the flow restrictor is the way to go. First I drill the 1/8" hole, measure the results by timing how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket and then possibly enlarge the hole slightly until the flow is right around 2 to 2.5 gallons per minute. Of all the times I've done this, the 1/8" hole has not yet resulted in too much water flow. Removing the flow restrictor completely often does result in too hard of a shower.

Another problem with the flow restrictors is the way they are designed. The thing is designed to clog up. The manufacturers are fine with this because it helps sell more shower heads, and the flow restrictor is required by law to save water. Isn't it funny how every time we pass laws regulating the way things are made, the manufacturers just use it as an excuse to make an inferior product?

With the little hole drilled through, the thing never clogs up. So your shower has the same flow and pressure for years, rather than gradually getting weaker and weaker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here