Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkripala

Fleck Water Softener dealers in San Jose, CA?

tkripala
10 years ago

After reading through a number of posts on whole house water softeners, I am looking to install the Fleck twin tanks in my home. I prefer working with a local dealer but am having a little trouble finding someone that carries the Fleck units.

My preference is to find a water treatment professional instead of having my plumber (good at running general plumbing but has limited experience with water softeners other than those from the big box stores).

In my search for Fleck dealers, I was only able to find Randazzos and Rayne Water. From pictures of the units on Randazzos web site, the valve units don't look like Flecks (but I can't really tell) and Rayne Water mentions using the Fleck 9100 valve.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• justalurker
    10 years ago

You are looking for an independent water treatment company. They are usually listed in the Yellow Pages but don't have a national brand name like Kinetico or Culligan or Eco or Rayne all of which are proprietary and EXPENSIVE.. The Rayne version of the Fleck 9xxx has some proprietary parts.

Independent's supply industry standard water softeners built around Fleck and Clack and Autotrol control valves for which parts and tech info are readily available.

The Randazzo UDS Twin is a Fleck 9xxx series so they do carry it. They look like a good place to start. Once you settle on the correct size you tell then you want...

Fleck 9100SXT... not a different version regardless of what they say.
    Noryl bypass... regardless of what they say.
    Fleck brand top and bottom baskets
    Fleck 2310 safety float in brine tank
    Brand name 10% cross linked resin (if on a water system)... not anonymous Asian resin
    Gravel underbed... regardless of what they say.

For correct sizing we need the results of a water test preferably from a certified lab.

Need to know... water system or well?
    pH, hardness, iron, manganese, sodium, TDS for starters
    Also # of people, # of bathrooms, SFR of the plumbing, and pipe size (diameter) at softener installation point.

You are smart to avoid plumbers for water treatment with rare exceptions they are ignorant of what really needs to be done and how to do it.

• tkripala
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'll follow up with Randazzo.

My water supply is municipal and these are the numbers:

pH: 6.69-7.91 (Avg. 7.31)
    Hardness: 260-460 ppm (Avg 330)
    Iron: 0-460 ppb (Avg: 25.56)
    Sodium: 23-43 ppm (Avg: 32.17)
    Magnesium: 22-50 ppm (Avg: 28.39)
    TDS: 350-570 ppm (Avg 438)

We are 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) with 3 bathrooms. I don't yet know the SFR and am unsure of the pipe size since that has yet to be installed.

• justalurker
    10 years ago

SFR is very important in correctly sizing a softener so you need to figure it out.

Using the bathtub as the measuring point, open BOTH the hot and cold water faucets completely open. Place a 1 gallon container under the faucet and measure the amount of time it takes to fill the container in seconds

BTW, do you have any high water use appliances like a Jacuzzi or monster shower?

Get a water test from a certified independent lab. A certified independent lab has no agenda and won't be trying to sell you water treatment equipment. This is a MUST DO because without it everything is a guess. A quickie water test from a water softener company won't be as accurate (and possibly not as competent) as from a certified independent lab.

If you're on a water system the water utility can supply you with the periodic specs of the water AS IT LEAVES their facility but that is not necessarily representative of the water conditions at your water meter after traveling miles and miles and miles through the water system.

Since sizing a softener correctly involves arithmetic test results in ranges does not lead to correct sizing and that is why you need a water test at your location otherwise you might as well just guess..

Magnesium is not the same as Manganese.

Also, curious how or why you have decided you need (or want) a (Fleck 9xxx) twin resin tank softener rather than a single resin rank softener?

This post was edited by justalurker on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 11:48