Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
faucet aerator

Posted by berdavids (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 23:27

Do I need an aerator on my bathroom faucet. How will it function without one, will it splash more, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: faucet aerator

Very simply, just unscrew it and see. You won't like it, water will splash all over the place. But it won't hurt anything to unscrew and run water without it and see how it is.

o

the only problem is that i'm considering buying one that doesn't have an aerator. the shape of the faucet opening is elongated and i don't think one can fit there.

o

When you buy "one that doesn't have an aerator" you are buying a product made for this.
The shape of the water stream will look good.
The shape of the water stream will be such that water will not splatter all over the place.

Contact the manufacturer, by email or by phone, to verify this, if you need to feel reassured before purchasing.

A faucet without aerator will be made Never to Have an Aerator, so you will not be able to screw one on later.
This has nothing to do with the shape of the faucet opening being elongated.
This has nothing to do with whether or not you or anyone "think one can fit there".

Contact the manufacturer, by email or by phone, to verify this, if you need to know for a fact that the faucet will not allow an aerator to fit after the fact.

YouTube has some videos of faucet streams.

Why not tell the manufacturer that you will only buy if they upload videos of real faucets operating?
It would be great to see them spout, with real pressurized water going through their valves.

The term often used to describe a stream that is not aerated, but IS smooth and controlled, is LAMINAR.
Laminar is a latin type of word where the word root means smooth surface.
In other areas, you will see the word laminated, meaning for example, a continuous smooth surface applied to another surface using a continuous adhesion layer, so smooth is the result.

HTH

o
RE: 2/ faucet aerator

laminar= a smooth stream.

i already gave you that word in a previous thread on a previous day, and you posted to say you didn't understand.

instead, use any new word you read as a key word in a web search.

This will give you more information.

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here