Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry702_gw

Hardened substance in Garbage Disposal

jerry702
9 years ago

Hello, about three weeks ago I put some left over beans in the garbage disposal. The disposal locked up. I used an allen wrench to loosen up the blades, which seemed to be successful, however when I attempted to plug the disposal in the disposal fired up even though the power switch was off. I had to pull the power cable while it was running. This freaked me out at the time because I did not know that one outlet was always hot so I left it unplugged.

This occurred the night before I had to leave town for two weeks on business. I poured a some alcohol down the garbage disposal and left town. On my first day off after I came back I checked the garbage disposal. The beans and whatever else was in there had solidified to the point that I could not loosen up the blades with an allen wrench. With the disposal unplugged, I put my hand in there to check and the substance felt solid.

Is there anything that I can pour down the garbage disposal that would soften or loosen up the hard substance that is in there, without eating through the PVC piping underneath?

I tried some boiling hot water but that didn�t really do the trick. Looking for something stronger.

Thx.

Comments (6)