Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of sealant to use for special finish faucet?

Posted by Bobjeannie (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 22:31

I am installing new faucets in Master Bath. They are a designer line. I looked at the warranty which stated:
"Many installation compounds are harmful to brass and metal finishes. The use of any lead-based or acidic curing adhesive, silicone, mastic or plumbers putty on or near our finish products will void the warranty. Use only sealants which are neutral curing and are not reactive with metal and brass finishes".
I called the manufactures customer service to ask what product they recommended. They would not give the name of any product. Does anyone know a product that fits their criteria of "only sealants which are neutral curing and are not reactive with metal and brass finishes"? I don t want to void the warranty.
Baffled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of sealant to use for special finish faucet?

I'd call back and ask for technical service line to get a response. What brand are these things, anyhow?

You might not need any sealant under the faucets. Often there's an o-ring that makes the seal to the counter surface.

As for the drain, not sure. Might ask if silicone II is ok. Or see if you can find a vinyl washer from an old fashioned hardware store and use that in leau of sealant. (I would just use "stain-free" plumber's putty and be done with it, such as the one that's ok to use with marble, etc.)

o
RE: What kind of sealant to use for special finish faucet?

Thanks homebound, I'm getting a Sigma Faucet but the same clause is also found in the warranties of Newport Brass, Altman's, Watermark to name a few that I saw when I Googled the phrase.

Since the warranty says do not use plumber's putty I'm leery of that but maybe I don't need a sealant. I will be using Sigma faucets in the shower too however, so they may require a sealant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here