Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Hairline crack in porcelain bathroom sink

bostonoak
9 years ago

Yesterday, when my plumber was doing the piping for my new kitchen sink, disposal and washer and dryer, the vibration caused a cologne bottle in my bathroom medicine cabinet mirror/door (on other side of the wall) to open and a bottle of cologne dropped onto the bathroom undermount porcelain sink and produced a hairline crack. The crack is also visible when viewed from the bottom of the sink.

My questions:

1) Is there anyway to repair this crack or should I simply replace the sink?

2) If I have to replace the sink can it be removed easily? The second photo below is of the sink as viewed from the bottom up. It shows one of the 4 things that secure it in place. Is it simply a matter of unscrewing these things or is it more complicated?

3) I will be having a granite person coming to my kitchen to do the fabrication work for my kitchen base cabinet tops. Should I wait for him to see if he can remove the bathroom sink granite and therefore allow me to replace the sink?

4) If I can replace this sink, can I replace it with a stainless steel one? This way, I will not have to worry about it cracking again. Is it okay to use a stainless steel sink for the bathroom? I truly don't know.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (4)