Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophiedog1018

Sulfur reducing bacteria in well water-long

sophiedog1018
9 years ago

I've been fighting smelly water and slight staining on both hot and cold for a while now. Water tests very good with iron at 0.24, ph 8.2, hardness 57. I had a sulfur gas test performed by the North Carolina State Lab (which takes about 30 days) and it showed sulfur bacteria negative but sulfur reducing bacteria positive. I have been treating the shared well (shared with one full time resident and three part time which I am one ) with food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide, 16oz about once a month and it seems to help. This is a drilled well about 200' deep.
Now my personal system comprises a booster pump with pressure tank, a 10" trash filter around 30-40 microns, a 10" five micron filter and a Sterilight ultraviolet filter. The system is usually not used for two to three weeks at a time then used for about two weeks. When first arriving the water usually smells so I treat both filters with chlorine or peroxide. The filters are brownish in color and the treatment causes the faucet water to turn brown, clear up after a few minutes of running and be odor free for about 10 days then start smelling again. Filter treatment solves the problem for the same period. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to treat this problem.