Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Faucet Shank Extension?

Posted by azwildcats70 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 22:03

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I bought a two hole 8" spread bridge faucet. Our plumber told us tonight that we need to buy a new faucet because the shanks are too short for the thickness of our granite.

So, depressed and looking for a new faucet - I come across faucet shank extensions.

Has anyone ever used faucet shank extensions? Where do I buy them? Do they leak? Why didn't the plumber tell us about them?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Faucet Shank Extension?

Depending on the brand of faucet you have, the big-box stores might carry the shank extentions you need.
Properly installed, the shank should not be a leak problem. You may find, though, that with the extension installed the counter is not thick enough without spacers (usually plywood or the like) placed between the underside of the counter and the securing nut.

RE: Faucet Shank Extension?

Has anyone ever used faucet shank extensions?

Yes, I used them in my last kitchen.

Where do I buy them?

Wherever you bought the faucet should have them. Home Depot has them, as well as the usual online sources, such as efaucets and plumbersurplus.

Do they leak?
Shouldn't leak if installed correctly. I used extensions from the same manufacturer as my faucet, but I don't think that is necessary in all cases. The extensions will be slightly larger than the shanks on the faucet, so make sure that the extensions will fit in the holes in the granite.

Why didn't the plumber tell us about them?

It's possible that he realized that they would not fit, but my guess would be that the plumber didn't like the quality of the original faucet that you purchased. My experience with plumbers is that they would like to install products that they trust, so that they don't get called back to fix it later. Can't blame them for that, and as the end user I would want something that the plumber recommended and would stand behind.

RE: Faucet Shank Extension?

What your plumber is saying may be true, however, this type of faucet connects to the water supply at the bottom of the valve body and have a side connection to the spout.
I would ask if the valve is penetrating both the rough top and the counter top or just the counter top. If both, would removing an area of the rough top, leaving only the counter top penetration, cure the problem.

Usually when a stem extension is necessary, there can be a problem with the faucet trim.

RE: Faucet Shank Extension?

DH went to a plumbing supply place. He got a something and a nipple... sorry nipple is all I can remember but it was two parts.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here