Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hautinglu

Whole House Filter advice (any good alternatives to Culligan?)

hautinglu
14 years ago

My place has a Culligan X (green sand) whole house filter that the previous owners were renting for $35/month. I sales guy came out because I was interested in what else they had that I could buy instead of renting (the price is now almost $50 with delivery and taxes).

He tested the well water and found:

-Naturally soft water. -pH: 7.5

-Hydrogen Sulfide present.

-Iron: 3ppm or less

So the rotten egg (sulfide) is the problem.

My options with Culligan are (#1 - #3):

1. Continue the once-per-month tank changes on the green sand system @ $50/month.

2. Switch to a longer rotation period (56 days; since there's only 1 person in the house) @ $40/month.

3. Purchase their Sulfur Cleer whole house system, which will also catch the iron. Price is $2050. Estimated life of the media is: low end 3 yrs, high end 6 yrs. I figure since it's only me but with higher sulfur I can get 4 yrs out of it. Replacement media after that is $350.

4. Tap into city water @ $2000 for water + trench and hook up, etc etc.

5. Alternative company?

6. Another thing the guy mentioned was paying $150 for Sulfur-Cleer system and then paying $10/month for 3 months as test period. If I like it, I can apply the cost to the $2000. If I don't like it, they take it out and I'm out $200.

Has anyone here purchased a system to treat sulfur? I'm leaning towards #3 for the $2k system because I don't have a need to tap into city water for the time being.

Thanks.

Comments (7)