Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuaace

Battery backup sump pump safe in crawlspace?

joshuaace
9 years ago

I purchased a Wayne battery backup sump pump to install in my crawl space. It runs off a size 27 deep cycle marine battery and stays on the charger when there is power.

Looking at the installation manual it says numerous times that charging batteries can release hydrogen gas and should only be used in well ventilated areas. I believe my crawlspace is considered to be "sealed" though I'm sure it's not air tight. So is it safe to use this charging system in a sealed crawlspace?

Comment (1)

• klem1
    9 years ago

The main concurn is risk of concentrated gas being ignighted by spark or flame. If the crawl space has enough ventilation to prevent condensation,it should be enough to prevent concentration of gas.
    IF the charger came with the pump or if you use a proper charger desighned to be continusly connected,the following is true.
    No measurable amount of gas is produced during standby mode. You should fully charge battery before placing it in crawl space. When and if there is a primary pump or power failure,you should open crawl space doors or otherwise ventilate until problem is fixed. Once primary is restored,it would be wise to fully recharge and test battery outside crawl space. Needless to say,all 120 & 12 volt connections should be tight to prevent arcing in the event charger gos into recharging mode.
    You should find comfort in the fact we rarely if ever hear of an explosion resulting from charging a battery. The few explosions I have knowledge of were all caused by a short circuit directly on the battery ( ex= booster cable improperly connected).