Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! septic system toilet problems

Posted by buggsie (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 21:22

I have a friend who threw one cigarette butt down our septic system toilet. One. When I found out, I told her not to ever do that again. I hoped nothing would happen. the past few days I have noticed black gunk coming into the toilet bowl that floats sometimes. So today I took off the top of the back of the toilet tank and was horrified to see some dark gunk floating on the top of the water. The tank itself was awful looking and rusty. Could that ONE cigarette butt have caused all that problem?? I am a renter and I feel awful about this!! Plus my stomach is in knots worrying about it. I just notified my landlord but he hasn't received the email yet. I fear my friend's ignorance may have caused a huge costly mistake. PLEASE tell me that one butt couldn't do THAT much damage, could it? Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! septic system toilet problems

No, one cigarette butt would not cause that problem. 100 cigarette butts would not have caused that problem. You just happened to notice your problem at the same time your friend happened to throw a butt in the toilet.

Your problem is related to the fresh water input or, the parts in the toilet tank deteriorating. Is this a toilet that doesn't get used much? Are you on a well system? If you have other toilets in the house, check the tank in them also to see if the gunk is floating in there too.

o

Hi one cigarette but will cause nothing and the land lord will laugh about it but it is great to be concerned. Most toilet tanks are like that after while nothing to worry about it could be caused by minerals and things like that.

o

Okay, toilet 101: Only fresh water enters the toilet tank (the part that sits on top in the back). When you flush the toilet, water flows from the tank into the bowl (the base, the part you sit on, where the waste matter goes) by gravity and from the bowl into the toilet drain line and down to your septic tank. There is NO WAY for anything from the bowl to flow to the tank. It is not physically possible, unless your toilet is installed upside down on the ceiling, but I'm certain you would have noticed that.

The reason you have black stuff is that a toilet tank is mostly stagnant water, making it fairly easy for mold or bacteria to grow in it. Since you are on a septic system, you should not use bleach tablets, but you can turn off the toilet supply valve, flush the toilet until the tank is fairly empty and then scrub it. You can even spray it with a mild bleach solution (a one-time application will not harm your septic system). Then open the toilet supply valve and go back to using your gunk-free toilet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here