Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omron22

Gunk on Dip Tube and Water Filter

omron22
11 years ago

Hello, I am on town water, which the officials insist is clear. However I've been seeing tiny specks of white material in my water off and on, some periods are worse than others. Been going on 2 years. This past April it got bad enough for me to complain. The District water manager insisted it was the dip tube in the water heater deteriorating. I told him that problem was solved 10 years ago and I'm living in a 2 1/2 year old house. Still, he insisted I have the Natural Gas tech come over and check out the dip tube. This is what he found. He said he's never seen anything like it before and no, it is not normal.

Has anyone seen anything like this? This stuff is also getting into the cold water line. This stuff can be seen atop my 4 week old GE refrigerator water filter.

The water was tested. No bacteria found. In a separate test they found a spike in a certain chemical (titanium something?) which can indicate plastic. So since the dip tube is perfectly intact, they are focusing on the Pex tubing as the cause of the problem. This doesn't make sense to me. Their main goal seems to be to prove it's not their fault.I believe it is coming into the house this way.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or had anyone seen this before?

Comments (4)