Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white film on water surface

Posted by seanc_bb (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 20:40

I have quite hard water/rust in my new home. My plumber suggested that draining the holding tanks might alleviate some of the rust issue because the house was unoccupied for 7 months.

I ran the hose into a basin to watch the water quality and when I stopped I noticed there was a film on the surface, sort of like if you saw a tiny amount of gas in water, but it didn't have the shimmer/rainbow look of oil, rather it is a whitish color, like a layer of slime.

When i completed, i let everthing run for awhile and then ran some water into a clean basin inside. The inside tap has a britta filter on it and there is a whole house sediment filter after the holding tank.

I let this sit for several hours and sure enough the film has appeared, though not nearly as severe.

I am going to have the water tested(it passed potability testing on the home inspection) but am trying to figure out what the heck is in my water.

Any clues?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white film on water surface

More than likely an aesthetic water problem such as hardness, TDS, or the like.

Sounds like you're on a well and whole house sediment filters rarely correct well water problems.

Since you said the water passed for potability have it tested for hardness, iron, manganese, sodium, copper, PH, and TDS.

I believe you'll find the problem in those test results and then the solutions will follow.

o
RE: white film on water surface

Wondering what you found on this. Have the same thing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here