Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Omnifilter RO 2000 faucet leak

Posted by buckieep (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 20:36

We have an 8-y-o Omnifilter RO 2000 under sink system which has been bypassed for the last 3 years. We went through 3 faucets in the 5 years it was operational and I became convinced that it was installed incorrectly (by my uncle) which I later discovered, it was. However, what I think is correct installation has not remedied the main problem, which is that water flows constantly from the air gap hole, even in brand new faucets, with ALL lines just cleaned out. Before we bypassed the system, we stopped getting water to the fridge for quite a while. The fridge connection was the last stop before the faucet, I don't think it is related but who knows. ALL the incoming water has been softened, but we do have well water. SO: could the incorrect installation have caused a problem that may not leap to mind, or am I overlooking something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Omnifilter RO 2000 faucet leak

What you THINK is the correct installation may not be so we need to get that in order first. Here is the manual for your RO... http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.filtersfast.com/OmniFilter_RO2000_Manual.pdf&sa=U&ei=f54eUvKYC4W0ygHej4DYCA&ved=0CCQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEcaVEwMkIy3HdexTboPmniY5pEGg

Usually water leaking from the air gap hole on an RO faucet indicates that either the plumbing to the faucet is wrong or the line from the faucet air gap out to drain is routed incorrectly or plugged. The drain line from the air gap out can be plugged where it connect to the sink drain and can be overlooked.

On an air gap faucet there should be one line (usually blue) from the membrane output to the faucet. Then there should be one line (usually red or black) from the effluent drain on the RO to the IN of the air gap. Then a line (usually black) from the OUT of the air gap to the drain above the P trap in the sink drain.

The air gap out (black) line needs to be as direct and downward flowing as possible with no bends or loops and the connection to the sink drain MUST be lower than the bottom of the air gap faucet.

Sometimes the actual air gap can plug with mung and you can use a pipe cleaner to clean it out.

You should T off the blue tubing at the membrane output for your fridge/ice maker. Some fridges don't work and play well with RO output.

Your water is running through a softener but have you checked your soft water to see if it is really soft... ZERO hardness? Hard water causes premature death of RO membranes.

Also, well water changes it's conditions so when was the last time you had a comprehensive water test from a certified lab? Living on a well you should be testing for nitrates and bacteria annually. It's one thing to make the water nice but it needs to be SAFE too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here