Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flammable vapor sensor woes

Posted by Nick.W (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 20:14

We have a Rheem hot water heater with an A.O. Smith Intell-vent controller. We've had a number of basement projects that have tripped its flammable vapor sensor, rendering us without hot water. Sometimes the reset code works, other times we need to call and get a new one sent (free of charge, at least).

Our latest basement project, painting and clear-coating the floor with Rustoleum EPOXYShield, has done the same. Forgot to turn off the water heater, vapor sensor disabled it, and we ended up having to order a new sensor.

A week later though, it happened again. Reset worked 3-4 times, as did bringing the sensor upstairs overnight, but now it seems to be done and needs to be replaced again. My fear though is, will this just happen again? The basement still smells a bit like epoxy. I'm guessing it might take a little time for the paint and clear coat to stop smelling? If we get a new sensor, will it just disable itself again?

Getting sick of cold showers.

Thanks,
Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here