Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about removing a toilet

Posted by edweather (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 19:38

I need to remove a toilet to inspect a waste line. I think the toilet is original to the house, which means it might be 25 years old. Is there a wax seal or something I need to replace when I reinstall the toilet, or can I reuse the existing one? Thanks. Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about removing a toilet

Wax rins are not re-usable...you need to use a putty knife and remove as much of the old wax as you can from both the bottom of the bowl and the top of the flange, then install a new wax ring.

After 25 years its almost certain that the old mount bolts will be corroded and extremely hard to get off...I usually loosen them a bit then use a mini hacksaw to reach under the bowl and cut the bolts...then install new bolts...

The good news is that you can get both the wax rings and new closet mount bolts at any hardware for under $10.

o
RE: Question about removing a toilet

Thanks. I'll report on how it goes. The bottom line is that I have a nice toilet that just doesn't flush very well. I've replaced all the tank guts, and even cleaned the little holes under the rim, and run some muriatic acid through it....but it still flushes poorly. I really want to take it off and get a good look at what's going on before I buy a new one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here