Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awbigslim

Water Pressure

awbigslim
11 years ago

I just recently had issues with my water pressure in my house. I have a well system. My water pressure before this has been excellent. I don't know all the specifics of how deep well is or size of pump because I just bought this house 2 years ago. But this is what is going on I have a bladder tank and a water softener and whole house filter(which is changed regularly and has a brand new filter in right now). If I use the water the pressure is good and then after about a minute or so it drops to almost nothing. The pressure will drop down to like 10 or 5 psi. Then when I turn off the faucet the pressure goes back up to 30 fairly quickly(I have a 30/50 switch, replaced about 1 1/2 years ago) up to 30 psi then it crawls up to 50 when the switch kicks off. I thought maybe the well was drying up but I don't think this is the problem. I think there is something wrong either with the bladder, or maybe the pump or something in the well, whatever else is in the well. So can the pump be going and not producing the psi it should be, or do the pumps just fail altogether and not pump any water? Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments (4)

• randy427
    11 years ago

Your pressure tank is waterlogged.
    Either the bladder has failed and is partially filled with water or the schrader (air) valve on the tank leaks, leaving the bladder with only a partial charge.

• justalurker
    11 years ago

There should be a bypass installed at the softener so you can rule out the softener causing the problem.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I agree with randy. This is what my friend's system did. We replaced the tank.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

I have 3 of the bladder tanks that are over 30 years old and functioning perfectly IF the precharge pressure is correct. Another possibility is that the tube that transmits the system pressure to the pressure switch could be partially clogged (not unusual on many wells) and the pressure signal is delayed in switching the pump on and off. Often I disassemble the pressure switch, not necessarily recommending that you do so, and clean the orfice in it as well as the surface of the diaphragm. Then, of course, reassemble and reinstall.