Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ugh! gas pipe is preventing range install!

Posted by calypsochick (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 19:07

We have a problem with our range being flush against the wall. Right now it is sitting forward 4 inches.

We have a gas pipe that is coming out of the wall, going through our cabinets, making a U-turn, and ending at the shut-off valve. Both the pipe and the valve are preventing the range from sitting flush up against the wall. What is the remedy here?! We think the plumber may be able to move the shut off valve over to be inside the cabinet to the left of the range. That will gain us an inch. But then the pipe that is coming out of the wall is there, still blocking! Someone had mentioned removing the backing to the Wolf range and gaining more space that way. But that sounds incredibly scary and wrong to me. Has anyone encountered this problem? We are in a NYC co-op building from the 50s. And I can't believe no one saw this coming. But that's another story. Thanks!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ugh! gas pipe is preventing range install!

Don't remove the range backing, that's part of the firestop/heat shield.

Hire a plumbing professional to recess it into the wall, no big deal here.

o

Really? It's possible to recess this pipe? And do you mean cut out a channel/bed in the wall for this to be pushed into?

Thanks

o

Yup, open up wall, notch or bore studs, run steel gas pipe or CSST through them, protecting with striker plates, exiting where you desire, drywall over hole(s).

o

You may not even need to get special, extra approval from your co-op board, as long as a licensed plumber does it. Personally, I wouldn't bring it up to them. Just do it.

It's totally, totally safe. (How did it get up to your floor in the first place, right? Through the walls, natch!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here