Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump pump drain pipe with 2 opening ?

Posted by Cats3 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 18:34

My sump pump drain pipe has two opening. The first one is located right next to the foundation wall as you can see from the picture. Yesterday it was raining a lot and I saw a lot of water gushing out of this opening. About the other 30% were flowing into the the lower opening. Why does someone put PVC wye on the draingage pipe? I think some water will return back sump pit if the water discharge thru the first opening. My pump was running every few minutes yesterday. Can I just cap it off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump pump drain pipe with 2 opening ?

I'd cap it off.

o

" Why does someone put PVC wye on the drainage pipe?"

In case the longer main line is clogged, and it sounds like your might be partially clogged or the pipe was undersized to start with.

o

Also if the wye is installed as per your drawing the wye is installed backward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here