Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I getting right estimate?

Posted by AVman (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 17:01

We have a 60 year old ranch which perhaps did not see any plumber in last 10 years. So, the bathtub has a pretty slow drainage from clogged up pipes. Walking down the crawl space, I figured it has old galvanazied pipes coming out of the tub to a drum trap which is partially operable and then another galvanized line connected the drum trap to main sewer line. We have two plumbers came and gave some estimates to handle the slow drainage issue.
Plumber#1. $1900- he will replace estimated 10-15 feet of galvanaized iron lines with PVC and install a new P-trap. I think that is ridiculous $ for a 3 hour job.
Plumber#2. $600 for the same job but he says it will take two plumber do finish the job in 3 hours. He mentioned that will be the maximu estimate but things can wrap up sooner and will lower the final cost. I think he will do his best to charge me the the maximum time to support his estimate.
I feel plumber #2 is not as bad as #1, but still asking for too much for this work. Do you guys agree with me? FYI, we are in center NJ.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I getting right estimate?

I'd get estimates from plumber #3 and #4 and #5 and...

o
RE: Am I getting right estimate?

Thanks for the advice. #4 did it for me for $200, granted he is a handyman. Everything works now even though the job was not done upto the code. He used 1.5 inch (original size that was there when the house was build) piping instead of 2 inch, but I am okay with that for now.

o
plumbing services

Hi,
I also had the same issue, but in CA; I contact this company for plumbing services, so maybe u read their content and get an idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: plumbing services

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here