Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avman2

Am I getting right estimate?

Sam Walton
11 years ago

We have a 60 year old ranch which perhaps did not see any plumber in last 10 years. So, the bathtub has a pretty slow drainage from clogged up pipes. Walking down the crawl space, I figured it has old galvanazied pipes coming out of the tub to a drum trap which is partially operable and then another galvanized line connected the drum trap to main sewer line. We have two plumbers came and gave some estimates to handle the slow drainage issue.

Plumber#1. $1900- he will replace estimated 10-15 feet of galvanaized iron lines with PVC and install a new P-trap. I think that is ridiculous $ for a 3 hour job.

Plumber#2. $600 for the same job but he says it will take two plumber do finish the job in 3 hours. He mentioned that will be the maximu estimate but things can wrap up sooner and will lower the final cost. I think he will do his best to charge me the the maximum time to support his estimate.

I feel plumber #2 is not as bad as #1, but still asking for too much for this work. Do you guys agree with me? FYI, we are in center NJ.

Comments (3)