Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backwater Preventer for heavy rains/flooding?

Posted by organicsue (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 17:00

I am starting to look into this as we've been experiencing some crazy rains lately -- the last rain was about 8" and I noticed sediment in my basement tub that was left behind by the backing up water. So can anyone tell me what types of backwater preventers there are; any one particular kind stands out? Any I should avoid? I am a newbie with home issues and would appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backwater Preventer for heavy rains/flooding?

Make sure you can even install one.

They are not allowed under some codes.

They catch debris and clog easily, or fail to close as desired from debris.

o

The first step is to determine how storm runoff is getting into the sanitary sewer system. With some extremely rare exceptions it is illegal to connect downspouts or other storm drains to a sanitary sewer line.

o

"With some extremely rare exceptions it is illegal to connect downspouts or other storm drains to a sanitary sewer line."

The problem is often in older communities that at one point allowed storm water to be discharged into the sanitary system.

In one house I used to own (built in the mid 1950s) the basement perimeter drains, including an outside door drain 4 feet below grade and under-slab drain lines had all been legally connected to the sanitary system at the time.

The restrictions arose when sewage treatment came into use, but the old connections are normally grandfathered.

o

To add to the historical perspective by brickeye, some older municipal systems combined transport of sewage and surface run-off water. When it was not raining, everything went to a rudimentary sewage treatment plant. When it started to rain when the flow got to a rate that overwhelmed the capacity of the plant, everything went directly into the river or lake. The theory was that the great dilution is the solution. Water pollution standards changed.

When a second system was built, it was built for surface water and street drainage went to that. The combined systems were retained for waste water and hooked to fancy treatment plants. Old individual properties were not required to reroute the run-off. They might still discharge surface run-off into the sewage treatment system if the connections were not revised during some renovation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here