Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hidden floor drain? Help.

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:43

Moved into old house and am just getting familar with the plumbing. I found what I think is a floor drain hidden under some wood with a tshirt stuffed into it. Im not sure what to do with it? I see some standing water in it.

I have a seperate sump pit with working pump. This "hole" is about 20 feet away from it. There is also a seperate small floor drain that the condensate flows into about 10 feet from it. Abouyt 3 feet away from the hidden drain there is a drain in the stairwell of a walkout......

Without you being able to see it perhaps I wont get much help here, can anyone venture a guess?

Should I uncover it and put a cover on it? Or perhaps plug it with a rubber stopper? Since it was intentionally hidden under wood and a shirt was stuffed in it I cant venture to guess what the previous owners were thinking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hidden floor drain? Help.

To add

Its actually does not have a trap or cleanout. There is no standing water. It 4" pipe that narrows to 2 1/2". Poured a few buckets down and it flowed freely but NOT into the sump pit as I was thinking.

What is this?

o

It sounds like a cleanout. It the previously owner had a rag stuffed in it it’s a good indication that either water or odor was coming out. I’d plug it (not with a rag) and monitor the drain system for a while.

o

The sewer main is 30 feet away and looks like it drains above this pipe that is at floor level.

Is it safe to assume this is a storm drain? (No visible trap, smells more musty than sewage like.)

Unless you think this is a bad idea, I think I am going to put a 4" test plug on it and monitor the situation. What ramifications should I consider if it backs up?

o

I am guessing that the ramification could only be less than those with a t-shirt stuffed in the hole.

Perhaps the only way to be sure is get one of the companies out with the camera and scope the line.

o

IM still trying to sort out the new (old) basement.

This drainpipe is also not flush with the basement floor, theres a 3 inch concrete pad around it which would suggest maybe its a cleanout instead of a floor drain since its not flush with the floor?

But if its a cleanout, would there be water in it? A little bit the other day and today alot more after a stormy/rainy night.

In addition to this the only other plumbing/drain pipes I can see is the sump pit, the drain and cleanout below the laundry tub and a small floor drain on the otherside of the room being used to collect HVAC condensate.

The main sewer stack (and its cleanout assuming this is the main cleanout for house) is about 3 feet higher than the basement floor and these other drains I mention.

So I guess I am confused if this is a sanitary or storm drain or cleanout?

There is no outside cleanout I see and the downspouts drain freely onto the grass not into underground drains. The road we live on doesnt appear to have curbs/normal storm sewers that I am used to seeing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here