Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet diverter

Posted by davestexas (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 16:36

Moen Chateau kitchen single-handle faucet. For sometime the sprayer didn't completely shut-off the water flow in the faucet spout has it did when new. One day the hose came off the sprayer....very wet! Anyway, I installed a new hose/sprayer unit and changed the cartridge. Water comes out of both the faucet at the same pressure. I expected it to work as it is supposed to, sprayer engaged/faucet flow Off, but it does not. What happened? Maybe I did something wrong, but haven't a clue. Ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet diverter

If you turn off the water supplies and disassemble the faucet as if to replace the cartridge, but also remove the faucet spout itself, I believe you'll find a small spring-loaded valve in the faucet spout column. If so, it's probably clogged with some small debris and unable to close all of the way. Clean it and reassemble everything and you should have it fixed.
At least that was it for my Moen-of-a-different-model.

o

ok, thanks Randy. I'll check the spout for the valve. Will get back for results.

o

Checked it out. No valve in spout. I think I'm missing a part that must have been with or in the OE sprayer/hose/connection to faucet body. Something that, when the sprayer was triggered, diverted the full water supply in the spout to the sprayer. The model number is M7800 but the Moen site does not list that in the Chateau line anymore.

o

Called Moen CS and found out there is a collar diverter in the bottom of the spout the encircles the valve body. Spent $20 for a new diverter but it did not cure the problem. I'd already cleaned up the valve body and the inside of the spout where the diverter rides, but it still 'sticks'. If I want the sprayer to work properly, I'll have to replace the complete my 25 yr old faucet unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here