Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet Rebuild

Posted by Cardinalee (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 16:26

New here. Had a leak in the toilet so thought it was only the flapper. Bought a new one. Then in the middle of the night the fill valve broke off, had water everywhere. Bought a new one. Then determined the flush valve assembly needed replacement too. The black rubber ring is very soft and small pieces came off in my hand. Finally got up enough nerve to take the tank off. Unscrewed the bolts and thet nuts came off in me hand. Went to pull the bolts and they will not come off. Don't understand at all. How do I get the bolts off, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet Rebuild

Hi, You took the two nuts off the bolts from the tank to the bowl now unhook the water line after you shut off the water. Lift the tank off the bowl there are probably two nuts holding the bolts to the tank.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

Thanks Woodbutcher. I did take the two nuts off holding the bolts to the tank. Water line is off, tank is empty, fill value is off. Can not pull out the bolts in the tank. Do you just lift the tank off anyway leaving the bolts in the tank? I was going to replace the bolts too.

o

Hi, With the two nuts you removed you should be able to lift the tank from the bowl. Turn the tank over and you will find two more nuts that hold the bolts to the tank.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

After all that, you may have been better off replacing the toilet....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here