Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hehateme_gw

Reverse osmosis system leaks at the air gap

hehateme
9 years ago

I have been using Reo Pure 5 state reverse osmosis system in my kitchen for the past few years. The system ran fine 6 months and one day water began leaking from the air gap. I called the plumber and he told me that drain tube was clogged. He used a q-tip to clean it up and I paid $115 for his services.

It happened again 5-6 months later. I used the qtip to clean the drain tube but it did not help. I changed the filters and blew air into the drop tube and it fixed this issue.

Now it is happening again. I have already changed the sediment filter. I don't think I need to change any other filter. I have blown air through the drain tube and it has not helped. Water leaks from the air gap whenever the filtration system is recharging.

My wife is so sick these leaks that she wants to get rid of the reverse osmosis system.

Before I pay the plumber another $115 or throw away this filtration system I was hoping I can try to fix it on my own.

I am considering replacing the drain tube. The space under the sink is tight due to garbage disposal and water filteration system.

I think I have to completely disconnect the filtration system to make space for me to replace the drain tube.
The current drain tube is 3/8 inch. It comes down from the faucet and it is connected to a 1/4 inch tube which is connected to the drain.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks

Comment (1)