Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgoodish

Greensand Iron Filter

jgoodish
12 years ago

I have a well water supply that is heavy in iron--you can smell it when the shower runs (metallic smell) and see it settle to the bottom of a standing bottle of water. It is also staining toilets, etc. orange.

The analysis results show around 5mg/L of iron and 0.22mg/L of manganese. Water flow rate is estimated at around 5gpm based upon timed tests done at a wide-open sillcock. No other water test anomalies noted.

A manganese greensand filter system (based on the Fleck 2510) was recommended by both a local water expert and Ohio Pure Water Company, but I am unsure on how to size the system for most efficient operation. Also, there is a cartridge filter just off of the well pressure tank which quickly becomes clogged with orange--should I retain this downstream of the iron filter, or just leave it off of the new installation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JKG

Comments (3)

• rjh2o
    12 years ago

a greensand filter will never work on a well that is only producing 5 gpm. The media is too heavy and the system will fail in a short time. Most iron filtration systems require a 5 gpm backwash flow rate just to regenerate. A sediment pre-filter will reduce the flow rate also. I would suggest removing the pre-filter and using an air injection/oxidizing filtration system. There are systems that draw the air directly in to the filter tank so all the precipitation happens there. These have birm or a multi-media blend in them for precipitant removal. Which is much more efficient with less maintenance. A 10x44 tank back washed every other day should work just fine.
    RJ

• User
    12 years ago

There are several options available for iron removal. The system rjh2o suggested is only one of them - there are others that work as well or better, depending upon your situation. In order to find the best fit for you, rather than taking a one-size-fits-all approach, we need to know more about you and your water system.

1. Do you have a pressure tank installed, or does your well pump kick on each time there is demand for water?

2. If you have a tank, at what pressure does your well start (the low-end pressure) and at what pressure does it stop (the high-end pressure).

3. What size is the water line entering your home?

4. How much space do you have available to install a treatment system?

5. Are you in a temperate climate or do temperatures drop below freezing at times?

6. How much time do you have to devote to a treatment system?

7. How would you characterize you knowledge and comfort level with mechanical parts and chemicals?

• jgoodish
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To answer some of the questions:

First, this is not a primary residence. It is a climate-controlled building which is occupied for a few days at a time every 2-3 weeks.

There is a pressure tank installed. The well pump is rated to 12gpm, but off hand I do not know the pressure numbers.

The water line is 3/4".

There is some space in the utility room which contains the well pressure tank, a small hot water heater, etc. There's enough space for a resin tank and a chemical tank, for example, but not much more.

Thanks,
    JKG