Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nezzex

Kinetico 4040 w/K5 vs. Aquasystems SmartChoice� Gen II Twin High

nezzex
11 years ago

I've been reading over your posts the last few days, and I was hoping to get from feedback from your knowledgeable users.

My wife and I are ready to get a water softener; we've had hard water for years (lots of build-up!!), but we're a bit confused about which way to go.

My parents have a dual-tank Kinetico which they love, so I had a Kinetico rep out, he test the water (20 gpg), no iron, .5 chlorine (I think). We live in a sub-development, and everyone has hard water. His numbers match up with what our neighbors have found during water testing also. The Kinetico rep quoted us $4,200 for a 4040 with a K5 drinking water system.

A good friend of ours has an Aquasystems softener, and she loves it. I'm having an Aquasystems rep out tonight. They are offering their SmartChoice Gen II Twin High Performance water softener with a R.O. drinking water system for $2,299 (including install, but there may be more cost as they need to add in some bypasses).

I know enough to know that price isn't every thing when it comes to peace of mind and functionality. What I am hoping to find out here is what are the pros/cons, besides price, when buying these two systems?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments (2)

• User
    11 years ago

Kinetico softeners are popular and they have a lot of loyal customers. Kineticos are proprietary and expensive. You'll be married to your dealer for warranty, parts and service at whatever price they choose to charge. If the price sits well with you and you have a good dealer you should be happy.

The Aquasystems is incredibly complicated for what it is and yet it is nothing special. That doesn't bode well for reliability and ease of maintenance.

You should consider looking for a local independent water treatment professional who will offer industry standard softeners assembled from industry standard components. Should be a lot less expensive than the other two choices and will work every bit as well and you can get parts all over and tech info is free for downloading..

Before I offer a recommendation on size you need to post more info...

2 people, right?
    how many bathrooms?
    hardness = 20 gpg
    iron = you said NONE
    manganese?
    TDS?
    pH?
    SFR of the plumbing?

• SamAmaS
    11 years ago

@nezzex
    Where did you buy 4040s? Could you please hook me up with your salesman? The price sounds great for 4040s + K5
    Thanks,
    Sam