Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Bathroom Sink pipe to wall broken

Posted by frankt999 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 14:33

Hi all.

I came across this site doing a search for a problem I have, and the people here seemed very helpful, so I thought I would post a question and see if anyone has some valuable advice.

My bathroom sink was clogged; no drainage at all. I let the draino sit in it overnight, but still no effect. In the morning I went to use a small snake to clear the clog, but it poked a hole through the bottom of the trap; it is very old and corroded.

I'm not a handy person, but thought I could change the trap. When I went to loosen the clamps holding the trap pipe on, the straight pipe going to the wall broke! I applied almost no pressure, but it must be pretty corroded to to have broken so easily.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about damaging the pipe BEHIND the wall (which I think is cast iron), so I'm wondering if someone has any suggestions about attaching something to the straight pipe going into the wall that is now broken. There's about 5 or 6 inches of it left, along with the broken bend part.

My brother said this straight pipe is galvanized.

I've included three links below to photos showing:

1. The trap pipe with the hole in the bottom (sorry about all the gunk, it was like that when I bought the house 11 years ago).
2. The break on the pipe going into the wall.
3. The best shot I could get of the fitting of this pipe going into the cast iron pipe behind the wall.

I'm not that handy, and just don't have the $$$ for a plumber right now, so any suggestions would be appreciated. My main worry is damaging the pipework behind the wall; that would be devastating at this point.

Image 1 --> in pipe.jpg
Image 2 --> pipe to wall.jpg
Image 3 --> to wall base.jpg


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Bathroom Sink pipe to wall broken

The pipe to the wall looks like rotted out galvanized steel pipe that was lead & oakum sealed into a cast iron fitting.

You are probably going to need to remove everything back to the cast iron, then use a 'donut' to put in a new nipple from the cast iron.

The horizontal run from the trap to that will use a ring nut on the end of the new pipe to seal the arm of a p-trap.

The trap then attaches to the arm and the drain from the sink.
It is pretty likely that the sink drain is also rotted out and will need to be replaced.

You can do the work in chrome plated brass if it show, or PVC if it is hidden (or you do not care about the PVC showing).

The donut is likely to be found only at a plumbing supply house since they come in many sizes depending on the inner and outer dimension of the hub they need to fit and the pipe that enters.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here