Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add showerhead to garden tub

Posted by bcurrey (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 14:27

I've seen this posted before, but I think my situation is different. In the other posts, I've read where people can't install a showerhead in their existing tubs because too much water would spray and pour into the floor because of the surrounding around the tub.

Looking at mine though, I don't see that I have that problem with the addition of a shower curtain. Obviously, I'd need to tile the walls as well.

My plan was to open up the wall by the faucet and run pipe up and attached the shower head. Thoughts on if this would work? I've attached a photo (please excuse the mess, a remodel with two small kids is not easy). Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add showerhead to garden tub

Additional picture

o

It really depends on several factors:

What is the wall made of? Is it water proof? Is there a tile flange on the tub, and how did they overlap the wall board?

o

It would only be possible to do correctly if you gut and rebuild your alcove with new plumbing and waterproofing. And probably go with a different tub. That tub doesn't appear to have a tiling flange.

Now, you could probably gut the wall, fir it out to depth of the ledge on top of the tub, install an aftermarket flange, and then install the vapor barrier and cement board, new shower valves, and tile.....but that's a lot of effort to keep a tub that isn't that expensive to replace to begin with. After you've gone to all of the effort to demo everything, that would be the penny wise pound foolish approach.

o

I would just replace the tub spout and add a hand held shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand held shower.

o

Wow. Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.

Ill probably leave it as is. Would it be ok to tile the walls if I leave it as it is? Obviously put up some backerboard. Would that be ok?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here