Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet handle issue

Posted by missers1295 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 14:15

We are in the middle of our master bath remodel. I had a new faucet and plumbing installed for our roman tub (Moen Eva). The handles are to sit flush on the deck without an eschutcheon ring. Well there is a space between the deck and the handles (the faucet is mounted correctly). My contractor insists there should be rings and I know there aren't (and to try and satisfy him and get him to listen to me I called Moen). Moen told me to cut down the stem extenders. He cut down one a bit and it still looked the same. Is it possible the rough-in valve is too high? They will have to rip off some tile but I don't care, I want it right. A plumber (not the contractor in question) put in the valves, but I want to know what I need to tell them to do.

I apologize if I used any wrong terms. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet handle issue

Perhaps a picture would help?

o

Here's a picture. The toilet isn't in the tub anymore. LOL It's just the best picture that shows the issue.
Photobucket

o

If they are snugly installed, the handles should screw further down. Try grabbing the wide part with your hand and turn it.

o
directions

Directions below. Cheers.

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instruction_sheets/INS1184.pdf

o
grease

BTW, good idea to remove them and smear some plumber's grease on the threads first.

o

Thank you for the instructions, but I all ready had them and provided them to the plumber and GC. We also have grabbed the wider part and continued to turn. Where they are right now is as far as they would go, they won't go down any further. So I am still thinking either the stem extensions are still too high (but the handle with the one cut down looks exactly the same as the other handle) or there isn't enough room for the handle to screw down all the way. Ugh.

o

Whatever it is, it's repairable from above. Looking at #6 of the instructions, maybe someone didn't turn the cartridge before they installed the handles...or maybe the cartridge is not fully inserted or screwed in. Just a thought, esp. since I've never seen a plumber read all the directions. Not that don't, per se. Anyway, good luck.

o

They still need to do the sinks and sink faucets (we decided at last minute to go ahead and get new vanity cabinets so that added a week or so). So when the plumber is back for that, I will have him try what you suggested. The water runs fine it just looks like crap. Thanks. Any other thoughts are appreciated as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here