Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poorly installed stall shower tile

Posted by k9arlene (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 14:04

My daughter had a leak in the ceiling below her shower stall. The tile guy came, replaced the shower pan, the tile on the shower floor and about 2 feet up the wall of the shower. There's no leak anymore, but instead, after showering, there's standing water almost around the entire perimeter of the stall. The guy said he would "fix" it, but I'd like to know what the proper "fix" is before I let him in the house again. He's already been paid the full amount! Any advice, opinions, help from someone knowledgeable would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poorly installed stall shower tile

You will get more help in the bathroom forum, but briefly:

It sounds like he did not properly slope the floor. A shower floor should be sloped 1/8 - 1/4" per foot toward the drain for proper drainage. There should be a preslope, followed by pan or liner, followed by bed, followed by tile. No slope = no drainage. No preslope = water buildup in your tile and eventual failure.

Here is a link if using a membrane: http://www.ontariotile.com/kerdi-showerpan.html

The other link is if using a traditional liner

Here is a link that might be useful: shower floor with liner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here