Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best root killer?

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 13:33

I had the main drain from my house cleaned out this morning and also got a video (with souvenir cd!). I've had a root problem for many years. I tried a new drain cleaning company this time and they did a far more complete job than the one I used in the past.

They recommend putting root killer into the system twice a year. Can anyone recommend an especially good product? I'd love to be able to go a few years before having to have it cleaned out again. What has worked well for you?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best root killer?

Are the roots coming from the top or the bottom/sides? If from the top, you need a foaming root killer. The root killer, any root killer, will never solve the problem, just postpone it - eventually the line will need to be replaced.

o

Pretty much from all around, according to what I saw on the video. The plumbers said the pipes are in pretty good shape. The roots are getting in through the joints.

Is foaming root killer something I can apply myself?

o

Yes. There are instructions on the container. Just be certain if you flush it down the toilet (as per the instructions) that you do so quickly to avoid a foam monster taking over your bathroom. If you have a clean-out it can be poured into, I would use that.

There are a variety of brands you can find - as far as I know they all use the same chemicals, but strength could vary. Just google it - you will find what you are looking for.

o

Yes, I do have a vent on the front lawn. If I'm dealing with foam monsters, I'd rather do it outside. Thanks for the tip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here