Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pex stub out

Posted by skiman29 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 13:28

Hi Everyone,

I'm remodeling my upstairs bathroom and will be removing the old plumbing.

I just need ideas on how to stub out my pex in the existing location and somehow stabilize it.

I'll probably come out of the floor with a short chrome nipple, then to a supply valve, then to a 1/2" line.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pex stub out

They make a fitting called a "drop ear 90" which is a pex connection on one side and a 1/2" ips (iron pipe size) female on the other. The "drop ear" indicates that there are flanges through which you can screw it down. Excellent piece. Readily available! I've used them on my current remodel of baths, laundry and kitchen and they are easy and secure.

o

I debated about getting one of those fittings, but I wouldn't be able to screw it to anything. Unless I built a little ledge out from my floor joist.

What if I went with a 1/2" pex to 1/2" female ips, screwed in a short 1/2" brass nipple, then went to a brass 90, then went to a chrome nipple, then to my supply valve?

I would secure or strap the brass nipple to the floor joist, kind of like they did in the picture above.

Too complicated?

o

You are looking at it. You get to decide. I can see the picture but understand your concerns. Either will work. The real deal to me is that you have the lower piping secured so you can take that chrome trim nipple and with a strap wrench be able to tighten it sufficiently to prevent leaks and not have the torque twist the pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here