Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gator type connectors

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:12

I think that's what their called .. they are like a push on fitting that has O-Ring inside and teeth that grab the copper pipe. I have a sink to install in the garage and I don't solder well . My question is have you used this type B4 and will it hold up to temp changes ( mild swings ) I know solder is the way to go... just wondering ..thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gator type connectors

The days of copper and solder are numbered, but since they still sell oakum and lead bars, that may be a while!

The only problem I find with a push on fitting is it will want to rotate easily. That can be a little disconcerting to someone trying to shut down a right angle stop that has that sort of connection. However, they don't get used much that way, just sitting there being forever open.

I have never had a leak with one; the seal is as good as the o-ring, so de-burr well if you cut tubing with a saw (highly NOT recommended). I'd also think the copper tubing would need to be not dirty or distorted. Throw away your torch!

edit: can't spell to save my life.

This post was edited by grubby_me on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:33

o

Thanks, I'll hold on to my torch.

Push on connectors have their place... (not sure what that is...but they have it).

Solder connectors are much cheaper, and they more solid - both mechanically and water tight. I'm not going to put a push on connector in a wall and close it up.

I think you will see copper slowly go away in general plumbing. It will still be used for high temp, and refrigeration and such - but unless the cost comes down, I think it will be replaced by CPVC and PEX in residential use. Until that happens, I'm using soldered fittings.

o

The fittings are called SharkBite . I have never had a problem with them or saw and leak.

Anytime I replace a water heater that is hard lined with CPVC, Copper or PEX. I install it using SharkBite Flexible Water Heater Connectors. I will even use them on new installations. Makes the next water heater swap a breeze.

o

Thanks everyone !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here