Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_home_lover

Deteriorating Boiler Flue?

old_home_lover
10 years ago

We are trying to do everything possible to make our boiler safe to use. It's old, but runs 209,000 BTUs for the large cast iron radiator system in the house we are restoring. We had settled on using the existent system because the plumber told us it might look bad, but the furnace/boiler was fine to use as long as we replaced the chimney.

We have had it pressurized and filled with water all week with no leakage or anything. We bought all new chimney for it, but when we took the old elbow off the back of the furnace we found that close to the exit from the flue (?) there are flakes, big flakes of metal peeling away.

The firebox itself seems fine. I've gone at it all through with a screwdriver, just seeing if there is any flaking metal and there is not. Only right there in the pictures.

Is there something we can do to make this safe to use? I am afraid of flame setting fire there and it spreading outside of the chimney into the insulation (which you can see exposed around the flue(?).

But shouldn't there be something to seal the chimney to the metal there? So that it could still be used? Please, if there is any safe way to do this I need to know because we have a matter of weeks to get this heating system running and we really, really can't afford a brand new boiler of the size required for the house.

I am posting one pic here and two more to follow. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)