Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somepeabody1

Help Figure Out Why Water Hammer Went Away

peabody1
9 years ago

I hope someone can help us figure out why our water hammer went away. For those that don't know what hammer is it is when the pipes make a knock or vibrating noise when water is stopped quickly like the washing machine shutting off or the toilet shutting off.

We have been dealing with water hammer for years. Four plumbers later and we still had it. Then yesterday it went away. Here is what happened yesterday that was different. The water company came out and tested our water pressure by putting a gauge on a hose bib. We were not home. I spoke with him by phone and he did not adjust anything. He only checked the pressure and it was fine. The second thing that was different about yesterday is that my DH left the kitchen faucet on slightly. Not full force and not just a drip....there was a pretty good trickle. And that went on all day. He has left the water on before, but never all day that I recall.

Can someone explain why the water hammer went away? We have been dealing with it for several years.

Comments (4)