Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrianagut

Dishwasher fill quandary

adrianagut
9 years ago

We have a 2 year old Whirlpool dishwasher which is not filling. We already replaced the fill valve and it did not fix the problem. At the time we replaced it there was no sediment in the filter and no obvious damage.

I can hear the machine humming when it is attempting to fill it, but nothing comes in.

The float valve goes up and down freely, is there another way to test this?

My husband and I disagree on whether or not we have a water pressure issue. I say yes, he says no. We recently replaced our kitchen faucet and the sprayer is more of a sprinkler, in my opinion, but I chalked it up to a different faucet. Water pressure for showers is adequate.

Is there a way to test water pressure without buying a gauge?

We are on a well, so the quandary is whether to call:
- appliance repair
- plumber
- well/pump guy

Aargh!

Comments (4)

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

The dishwasher almost always is plumbed off of the hot water line under the kitchen sink. It typically has its own shut off, but may be on the same valve as the sink.

Okay, so I'm going to make an educated guess:

Since you are having water flow issues at the sink, I'm going to guess that the valve to the dishwasher is either off, or clogged with crud. (Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but do make sure the valve isn't off.)

Start by making sure you have adequate hot water flow at the sink. Often when you plumbing repairs such as replace a faucet, crud can break free from the pipes. If the stops under the sink had washers, they can also deteriorate and break up when you close the valves. Whenever you install new faucets, remove the aerator before running water for the first time to flush out any small bits.

To test your water flow at the sink, remove the aerator and fill a 1 gallon container from the hot water side as you time it. You should be able to get at least 2 gallons a minute from your faucet (1 gal in 30 seconds).

If you have significantly less than that, you do have a problem with water delivery - either the new faucet is clogged or your shutoff(s) are clogged.

keep troubleshooting backwards

Likewise, you can turn off the water to the dishwasher and disconnect the water line under the dishwasher. Put the end of that line in a bucket and slowly turn on the water. If you don't have significant flow, your shutoff valve is probably clogged.

FYI: I'm a big fan of replacing old under-sink shutoff valves that contain washers with new 1/4 turn shutoffs to avoid the kind of issues you are having. The 1/4 turn valves don't have washers that deteriorate and break up, and they also tend to actually work when you need them - unlike the old style.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"Is there a way to test water pressure without buying a gauge?"
    You bet-ca,there are two ways,take your choice. One is to have someone with enough experience hold their finger over the supply and guestimate pressure. The other is to hook a clear plastic/vinyl/glass tube to water supply. Clear tube must be held straight in vertical orentation while testing. Mark the clear tube at the highest point water reaches then measure inches of tube from supply point to mark on tube, That's called "inches of water column" which is then multiply the number of inches (including fractions for precision) by 0.0361272918274 .The result is psi. BTW, 60 psi will require aproximatly 175 feet of clear tubeing. Don't ask me where to buy a ladder that tall . Now I have three questions. Are you trying to find information that alows fixing this yourself or tell someone you hire how to fix it? If the latter,why not just hire a plumber to fix the kitchen facuet problem and hope it clears up the dishwasher fill issue? Why in the world are you unwilling to install a $10 pressure guage on the well pump tank like everone else?

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

Klem,

Had to laugh at the hose suggestion... would be even funnier if they came back and said they had about 2100 inches of water column at the faucet.

I'm sure they probably do have a gauge on the well near the pressure switch.

When non-plumbers talk about water pressure, they generally mean flow, not the static pressure that a gauge measures. Measuring how many gallons of water a minute by using a gallon jug will give them an accurate measure of flow. Since a kitchen sink is generally flow limited to 2 - 2.5 gpm, if it's not passing a minimum of around 2 gpm then there's a problem.

• JeromeMoler
    9 years ago

Its better you call a plumber, who helps in you more better way. You can also get idea from the shop from where you have purchased the dishwasher.

Here is a link that might be useful: hiblow

This post was edited by JeromeMoler on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 3:24