Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Valves and Diverters...

Posted by Eyegirlie (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 10:59

We are building a house and our master shower will have a shower head and separate handheld. What is the difference between having a diverter or two valves? Any benefit of having both?

I've tried to read up on the subject but cannot find anything that truly explains my questions. Thanks for your responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Valves and Diverters...

With a diverter you can only use one outlet at a time.

With two valve sets the outlets operate independently.

A second valve set usually costs more than a diverter.

o

It depends on what type of valve you have and also the manufacturer.

I've got a shower head and a separate wand on the other side of the shower. Grohe. I have 1 thermostatic valve, which only sets the water temperature; it doesn't turn it on or off. The handle on the valve is only to set the temperature. The valve has 4 ports, 2 in - hot and cold, 2 out - at the temperature set on the valve.

One out port goes to the shower head with an on/off valve in between. The other goes back down into the crawlspace and over to the other side of the shower to a second on/off valve and then to the wand.

Pressure balance shower valves, I'm pretty sure, control flow as well as temperature. It's the traditional design most of us have known for decades.

o

First post explained it best. If it is a large shower, enough for two, go with two valves and a diverter for either one or both. Do not skimp on the diverter or handheld, the cheap ones will not last. My personal favorite is Kohler, they use more brass components.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here